Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken
adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff
4-6 breasts *I used 2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 cup packed *I used 3/4 cup
2/3 cup vinegar *I used apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda *I used Sprite Zero
2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic *I used about 1 1/2 T. fresh minced garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons water
- Spray slow with non-stick cooking spray. (Crock pot liners are also great!)
- Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker.
- Mix together the sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper, and pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. (Frozen chicken will obviously need a longer cook time.)
- Remove chicken from slow cooker (it should basically fall apart) and pour remaining sauce into a saucepan over high heat.
- Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well. Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.
This can be served over rice or noodles, but we had ours with a baked potato on the side (It’s good on top of the potato too!)